Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Free


Standing on the cliff overlooking the Pacific, the crisp breeze blows tresses of my hair around my face. The smell of salt water fills my lungs, and the sounds of the waves crashing into the rocks below capture me.  The ocean and air here are different, as am I. I stand open and free ready to embrace the new landscape and path before me. Leaving everything physical behind was hard, but now leaving everything else here is even harder. The Hawaii sky above is blue and never-ending; the faint view of the mountainous terrain encapsulates the horizon. I cannot tell you what lies before me but I do know that it is better than what I’ve decided to leave behind. Like the water below I am a current ready to be pulled in any direction, like the sky above I am exposed, and like the salty air blowing around I am finally free.  Thousands of miles away and thousands of heartbeats later I am here ready to finally begin living. Standing here in my bathing suit and sundress, goose bumps covering my entire body, both from the wind and fear. Taking in the view one last time, I close my eyes removing my dress, take a deep breath and jump from the cliff. Jumping into the unknown.

2 comments:

  1. For my background I chose a picture I took on my first trip to Hawaii. My story line is a narrative about a girl whom had something traumatic happen in her past and has moved away in order to start over and find herself. She is standing on the cliff (like in my image) overlooking the ocean and embracing what this new opportunity has to offer her. After taking it all in she finally jumps from the cliff and into the water symbolizing her breaking away from everything that has brought her to this point, showing that she is ready for what this new life has in store for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I think I'll start with your overall blog set up. I'd like to say first that I really like it! I just noticed now that the background picture is the same picture at the beginning of the post but I like that you made them look different. It's almost like two different points of view. While the background image is beautiful, I can tell it’s been a little unsaturated and it’s of seemingly dead(ish) landscape. I think this works because it's the background image and your main character had a background story that isn't too pretty. I like that you put the image first as if to show "look where I am now". It's easy to picture her standing on that cliff ready to jump off. In somewhat irrelevant news your bog looks neat and well put together. As far as your narrative goes I think this is a good place to start. With this sort of story line you can really go almost anywhere and given the stipulations of this sort of assignment that was a smart move. Your story is very believable which can also be a bit of down fall because I could see it possibly becoming a little cliché or predictable. I would advise you to keep it from becoming just another story about a girl with a shitty life that moves away and lives happily ever after. Remember that you can go anywhere with this sort of set up. Work with what you can and give your readers something they wouldn't expect! I would also say, try to avoid the story being too realistic. I don’t mean do a 180 and write a fantasy story but I feel like if the story is too realistic, while it makes it relatable it could also make it boring (cause it’s just like real life). Great start and good luck!

    ReplyDelete